Great leaders must be aware of the fact that each of the seven mindsets has a corresponding dark side:
- High aspirations: Aspirations should not be about self; rather, leaders should focus on the mission and gain team buy-in.
- Courage: Leaders should not be lone heroes; success will come from a team effort.
- Resilience: Leaders should avoid pointless battles. They should fight only for prizes worth the effort, where success is assured, or when there is no other way to achieve the goal.
- Positive: Leaders should avoid denial, recognizing and dealing with problems as they arise.
- Collaborative: Leaders should not chase popularity but instead earn trust and respect.
- Accountability: Leaders must not try to do everything by themselves.
- Growth: Leaders must drive toward action, recognizing that learning is a means, not an end.