An effective leader not only creates vision but sets direction and enables a culture in which others can proper and work together to deliver the goals. Like leadership, good followership is increasingly being recognized as an important component for high performance in an organization. Followership is an emerging concept. It describes a set of skills and behaviors that helps to improve team performance having independent and critical thinking.
The present paper examines the followership styles of the executives of the large and middle scale industries in Delhi NCR. Attempt has been made to determine if there is any significant relation between exemplary followership style and numbers of years of experience and which is the most preferred style with executives of the Indian corporate executives limited to Delhi NCR.. A total of 71 randomly selected executives from the corporate completed followership questionnaires. The data indicates that:
(a) followership styles include passive, alienated, pragmatist, conformist and exemplary followership styles. (b)The most common followership style is exemplary followership style.
(c) There is a relationship between exemplary followership style with number of years of experience.
Keywords: Followership style, Leadership style, Corporates
Success or failure of organizations is a result of both the leaders and followers’ roles (Avolio & Reichard, 2008). The importance of Leadership cannot be denied but followership plays equally important role, which has been normally overlooked. Followership has been understudied topic by practitioners and less research has been done in Indian context. The study of followership is very important as it appeared to be key partners in organization development with leaders.
This paper provides a fresh look in the Indian context on most preferred followership style in corporate scenario. The leader of an organization has responsibility for many different functions including, among other things, charting the direction of the entity, developing appropriate strategies, managing change, and influencing others to achieve a common goal (Northouse, 2004). And, while leadership is no doubt critically important to achieving organizational success, the ultimate deciding factor in determining whether those goals and objectives are accomplished may be more dependent upon the followers within the group. According to Kelley (1992), leaders contributed on average no more than 20 percent to the success of organizations, while followers contributed the remaining 80 percent. With close examination, even the leaders within any group may also function as followers in some capacity. Yet, the term “follower” typically elicits a negative connotation (Chaleff, 2003), often referred to in disparaging terms such as “sheep,” “yes” people, or the “enigmatic majority” (Dixon & Westbrook 003; Riggio, Chaleff, & Lipman-Blumen, 2008).
PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
This study will examine aspects that motivate followers to perform an exemplary act after knowing what is the most preferred style of followership in the corporate scenario. The purpose of this study is:
- to explore the most preferred style of followership at middle management in corporate.
- to explore relationship between followership style and experience.For full paper contact email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Great article and for those further interested in Followership there is a Linkedin Group called Followership – https://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1932453&trk=vsrp_groups_res_name&trkInfo=VSRPsearchId%3A54268301424438594851%2CVSRPtargetId%3A1932453%2CVSRPcmpt%3Aprimary